Thursday, February 24, 2011

One month!

I've officially been at the bookstore one month. I have nothing to say except good things, and that it's been my most intellectually-stimulating job so far. There's definitely an art to selling books, and there is also a bit of psychology involved with the process--knowing what people want, what sells best, what a customer is thinking when he or she steps into a section.

For some reason I am still on the zoo email list, and I learned today that the zoo will be coming out of "hibernation" shorty. A record amount of snow these past few months has kept crowds away, but with the March thaw more people will be trickling in. My old ice cream store is set to open again next Saturday. How time flies!

One thing I will miss about the zoo, and which I will not be able to experience at the bookstore, is working outside. Unlike many zoo employees, I enjoyed the days when I was stationed on a food cart or in a popcorn wagon. Alas, I won't be selling any merchandise on an outdoors, and I am already nostalgic for my view of the moose enclosure and the duck-covered lake.

1 comment:

AnneB said...

I dunno...I think a kiosk or a cart at Summerfest might be just the thing for your employer!