Monday, November 8, 2010

Mackinac redux

Forget what I said about most zoo visitors knowing how to pronounce "Mackinac." I've noticed over the past few days that 90% of the people are, in fact, pronouncing it "Mackinac" with a k sound instead of how it should be pronounced, as if it had a w at the end.

Either I was giving visitors too much credit in September, or a different kind of crowd is visiting. Perhaps fewer Wisconsinites or Michiganders (?) are visiting and more people from farther away are getting ice cream. But that doesn't make sense, since you'd think more out-of-staters would visit during the summer than during the fall/winter. Was I simply giving everyone too much credit?

As you can tell, I still have a job scooping ice cream. No indication as to how long my part of the zoo will stay open, since I'm scheduled to be back there next weekend. Ice cream cones in winter--mmmm!

No comments: