Thursday, October 7, 2010

Snowing on the inside

Two weeks ago some ice built up on the freezer door where we keep all the ice cream tubs. As a result, the freezer door could not close properly, and the moisture mixing with the below-freezing temperatures inside caused an unusual weather event: it was snowing inside the freezer.

That's right.

I wish I had some pictures or video to show you. When I opened the freezer door last week (the ice incident did not occur on my watch), you can imagine my shock at seeing a six-inch thick ice chunk on the floor and condensation building up on the top of the freezer. All of the ice cream tubs were covered with a fine white powder.

Hammers and chisels were useless on the ice. Maintenance was eventually able to turn off the freezer to melt the ice, but not after the valiant concessions workers moved out all 15 tubs of ice cream to auxiliary freezers. And once the ice melted, I had to mop up all the water from the freezer and the floor outside...not to mention move every ice cream tub back in the freezer.

The lesson here: winter will find you anywhere in Wisconsin.

3 comments:

AnneB said...

It's like a horror movie. You open the vault and...snow in September. Bad enough that the real thing is lurking behind the falling leaves!

Andrea said...

In my first apartment, way back when I was in my 20s, we had a fridge that did the same thing, with six-inch ice and all. You're right, winter will always find you...

Mary Witzl said...

Something similar happened to us in Cyprus. Our refrigerator was glacially cold all winter, churning out a thick wall of ice no matter how often was tried to defrost it and making it a real chore to shut the door. When summer came along, it suddenly decided it was time to go on holiday.