Monday, October 11, 2010

Canadians invade the zoo

A lot of Canadian currency has been showing up at the zoo. Just about every time I open a new roll of change to start the day, I will find at least one Canadian coin in it. Sometimes customers even give them to me, and in the past I've said "I'm sorry, ma'am, this is Canadian." Usually they are good-hearted about it.

I used to filter these coins from my drawer, figuring that the zoo people who count the money wouldn't accept them, but the Queen has been showing up so often that I don't really bother anymore. If Canadian pennies or dimes look like American ones, and no one ever notices the differences when they hand someone change, doesn't that make the coins just as good as American money? Both currencies are currently about equal anyway.

I rarely noticed this in past years. Are the people who roll coins getting lazy, or is more Canadian currency being spent in America?

No comments: