Thursday, July 22, 2010

Encounters at the zoo

Anecdotes from the zoo, over the past several days:

Kid: "Hey zoo man! An animal is loose!"
Me: "They're the peacocks, they're supposed to be loose."
Kid: "Ewwwww!"

Zoo employee: "I've been in the kangaroo pen, they're so afraid of people."

Same zoo employee: "I've actually fed the polar bear. Did you know you can see it through the fence out back." (My stand is situated right next to the polar bear den).

Woman: "Hey, you're a zoo employee. Can you hop that fence and get me that peacock feather?"
Me (eyeing the rhinos nearby): "Ummmmm, sorry. I'm not allowed to go past the fence."

Young girl, with brother, to her dad who'd bought both popcorn, a slushie, and lemonade: "We're expensive."
Dad: "Yeah, you're expensive."

Man, to a friend: "Yeah, Gene Hackman's a funny guy. He did all those Mel Brooks films. I was watching their take on Star Wars a few days ago, that was hilarious."
Friend: "Ha ha, that was funny! That guy's helmet was like three feet long."
(Referring to "Spaceballs," and mistaking Hackman for Gene Wilder)

Kid: "Metro Goldwyn Mayer, that's it." (I swear a kid said this to me out of the blue. Maybe I misheard)

And, of course, the question you will only be asked if you work at a museum or where I do: "Where are the dinosaurs?"

1 comment:

AnneB said...

You stay away from those dinosaurs. We didn't pay all that tuition money for you to be raptor snack.