Tuesday, June 29, 2010

All Creatures Great and Small

As my mom pointed out to me the other day, I work just about the only job where I could be killed and consumed by one of my employer's income generators. That isn't to say I fear for my safety -- I never interact with the animals, and a Google search tells me that the last time a visitor was hurt by an animal at this zoo was back in 1992, to a black bear bite -- but nevertheless, I am always reminded that there are dangerous creatures behind the pens. Think San Francisco in 2006.

Last week I was given a memo regarding the procedures in case of an animal escape. It's about what you'd expect: move the visitors to a safe point inside a building, making sure not to give them any specifics but assuring them there's nothing to worry about. And do not, under any circumstances, try to interact with the animal. That is the responsibility of a select few with access to the zoo's arsenal. Interestingly, this memo listed animals on their likelihood of being designated "shoot to kill," with the grizzlies, lions, tigers, snow leopards, and hippo being among the most dangerous animals. Trust me, you don't want the polar bear to escape.

A Starbucks barista doesn't have to worry about this kind of stuff.

2 comments:

Hippo Aficionado said...

Dear Zoo Person:

I am concerned that your Zoo has a shoot-to-kill policy. Oh, I suppose that proper emergency planning is a good idea.

However, I question the inclusion of the hippopotamus on that list. While I am quite aware that the hippo kills more humans than any other animal, one would not expect that from a critter named "Happy." Rather, I would think it more likely that were "Happy" to escape, he would befriend the visitors and accompany them down Bluemound Road to Gilles where all could enjoy a yummy treat.

Note also that working as a barista has a dangerous side as well. Imagine the potential for violence were the barista to confuse a skinny carmel mocha frapacino with soy and light whip and, say, an iced triple pump white chocolate blended latte!

Peter said...

In all fairness, the priority of the zoo is capturing an animal alive. But if it's dangerous and/or caused harm to people, then the mentality of the humans will change from capture to kill.