Monday, May 11, 2009

Up!

I've finally gotten around to detailing my final journeys of Easter vacation:

Phillip and I took the train from Rome to Florence very early in the morning, a near-debacle because we first got on the wrong train, and when we rushed through the station to catch the right one, I left one of my bags behind! Luckily, I ran back to grab it and we soon made the correct connection to Firenze.

The city was an absolute treasure. I'd rate the cathedral, known as the Duomo, as having the most beautiful exterior of the cathedrals I've visited--and and I've been to five or six since coming to Europe. Also included on our little excursion was a stop over at the Accademia, the centerpiece of which is Michelangelo's David and quite an impressive piece of work. Angry attendants yelled out "No Foto!", but I took one anyway. There was a literally a line of tourists waiting to hide behind a pillar and take a shot of it; I did and was yelled at, mainly because my flash was on (to my surprise). But it was worth it.

Also visited were the tombs and hideaways of Florence's many famous residents. Didn't go to the Uffizi, but instead trekked up a large hill that overlooked the city. Phillip kept wanting to climb higher and higher--which I'll admit wore me out--but when we got to the absolute top I was amazed at the stunning views provided.

The next day we took a train to Assisi, of St. Francis fame. A quick note: we were going back to our Rome hostel after Assisi, and I wasn't keen about leaving my rolling duffel bag in the hallway of the hostel, which was the only option since no locker was big enough for it. So I brought it with me--a rather foolish thing to do, considering Assisi is on a freakin' hill. Thus, the whole time I was climbing Assisi, I was carrying a cumbersome rolling duffel bag with me. I maintained a positive attitude though--it was Good Friday, I had a six-day stubble, and I was carrying a heavy load up a tall hill. Remind you of anyone?

My burden did not make Assisi any less gorgeous. There was St. Francis' tomb, deep in a basilica and actually quite eerie. There was a medieval stone wall, streets that looked as if they hadn't changed in 500 years, and at the highest point of Assisi, a very old fortress with a 360° view of the surrounding countryside. I can see why it would've made Francis so in touch with nature.

The return home (to England) was uneventful, though my day-before-Easter flight to London was much more expensive than I would've liked.

I'll remember the break as one of the high points of my life.* I only went to a few countries but I'm glad I paced myself--after two weeks I was exhausted. Any more travelling** and my break might have ended up like the one of my friend Sunny--he lost his passport somewhere in Belgium and had to leap through endless bureaucratic hurdles just to get a temporary one. Always keep your passport safe!

One more month left here. I don't plan on going to continental Europe again, but I'll probably do some more travelling around the UK, most likely to Wales. I'll keep you informed.

-------------

*See, my post title has more than one meaning! Haha, I am an English major!
**That's how they spell it here. Spell check does not like it.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Looks like Pixar is turning to new ways of promoting their upcoming film.

AnneB said...

I am soooo glad I did not know about the Bag that got Left Behind until now. Whew!

museumgal said...

Peter- your flash can harm objects! Tsk Tsk! Although my mom got kicked out of there for the same thing back in the day. My posts are rather late aren't they?