Sunday, April 26, 2009

SPQR Blues

So. Rome. Where the Pope hangs his hat.

After a quick hop over the Alps, Phillip and I arrived in Rome, so far the warmest city I've been in since October. We were lucky to get a hostel so close to St. Peter's Square, because this allowed us to get up early and beat the tourists (to the basilica, that is). The interior of the building is certainly dazzling--probably the most opulent out of all the churches I've seen so far on my Euro experience. It was also kind of cool to see all of the chairs and speakers set up for Easter, which was that Sunday.

Next stop was the Vatican Museum, the wait for which was probably the longest of my whole break. It was well worth it. I'd consider the Vatican Museum the highlight of my whole trip, as the frescoes and paintings are beyond stunning. There are so many of them--and to think that for hundreds of years they were only for the eyes of the pope and his cardinals! Now, unlike many I talked to I was not disappointed by the Sistine Chapel, though I was frustrated by a few things. For one, it is the last thing you're supposed to see on the tour, so while there are teasing signs pointing to "Cappella Sistina" around every corner, in reality it takes you about an hour to reach it. The actual chapel is fine, though the atmosphere is somewhat diminished by Swiss Guards yelling "No Foto!" and "Silenzio!"

(I had to ask Phillip's friend, who had joined us on this trip, where the [me doing the two fingers touching] was. He pointed. It was directly above my head.)

Oh yeah, and we also got to see the Popemobile Through the Ages exhibit.

Day 2 was our Much Older Rome tour, the centerpiece of which was the Colosseum (for those of you who do not know, the Colosseum was used in ancient times as a petting zoo). Like everything else in Rome, it was breathtaking to behold--after all, it's the freakin' Colosseum. As for the rest of the day, I didn't go into the Roman Forum, but I did see the Spanish Steps, the absolutely huge (and blindingly white) Victor Emmanuel Monument, the Pantheon, and the Italian Parliament. I kept asking where that fountain from Roman Holiday was but no one seemed to know what I was talking about.

In true Italian style, we had lots of pizza. Lots of it. And some of it, I admit, rivaled places in the king of pizza, Chicago. We also ate lots of gelato, and an Easter cake called a Colomba Pasquale.

Next up: the final legs of my journey: Florence and Assisi (visited on Good Friday, no less).

No comments: